According to a study, 88% of Singaporeans believe that having great oral health means a person has excellent overall health. This means the majority of the population believes that if you don’t have oral health concerns, then you are a healthy person. Here in Singapore, we often tend to perceive those who have great teeth as more attractive compared with those who don’t. Others have also admitted that they feel more confident if they don’t have issues about their oral and dental health. With this in mind, it’s definitely crucial to start paying more attention to your oral health and hygiene.
Oral Health and Its Impact on Self-Confidence
Aside from physical health concerns, taking care of your oral health plays a major role in maintaining your confidence and self-esteem. If you feel that you don’t have great teeth or you have other serious oral health concerns, you often feel the need to avoid other people. Most individuals who have issues with their teeth feel conscious about their appearance. As a result, they often feel ashamed to show their wide smiles. Others even feel shy around people, which definitely affects their ability to communicate and socialize with others. When this happens to you, you may lose a lot of opportunities for success. Aside from this, you can potentially experience the following problems:
- Have the tendency to neglect your overall health—If you have low self-esteem because of oral and dental health issues, you are likely to neglect other personal needs. Even if you know that you have to address your dental health concerns, you may feel ashamed to tell other people about it. With this, you lose the chance to address other existing health conditions that you might not be aware of.
- Have issues in improving your socializing skills—As mentioned above, you lose confidence in facing other people. You think that they will judge your appearance because of your teeth issues. This leads to lost opportunities, especially when you are in a networking event. Instead of grabbing opportunities to present your skills and abilities, you tend to hide in a corner and observe people from a distance.
- Lose the chance to reach your maximum potential—If you don’t have enough confidence, you start doubting your skill. You tend to question your abilities to accomplish great things. When this happens, you start avoiding your chance to get a promotion or even achieve growth in your current career.
Boosting Your Confidence and Self-Esteem through Oral Health Habits
Keep in mind that you need to have enough confidence to achieve huge milestones. Thus, if you want to attain certain goals, you need to address existing issues about yourself. If it involves your oral and dental health, it’s time to dedicate some time to address these problems. Here are a few suggestions to help you take care of your oral and dental health:
- Learn the proper way to brush your teeth—Some people love to save time so they can perform other important activities. As a result, they often cut time for oral hygiene. Avoid this mistake, and make sure to spend at least two minutes brushing your teeth. Do this at least twice a day, and don’t forget to floss as well.
- Reduce bad breath by staying hydrated—Using mouthwash will help you avoid bad breath. However, there are times when you simply need to drink lots of water to prevent this issue. Drinking water helps prevent dry mouth, which also causes bad breath. Thus, make sure to stay hydrated as much as you can.
- Invest in teeth-whitening products—If you are not confident to smile because of yellowish teeth, you can simply invest in teeth-whitening products. There is a wide selection of toothpaste, gels, and creams that you can use to get rid of tooth stains.
- Consult your trusted dentist for other oral health issues—Don’t forget to visit your periodontist. He or she will be able to assist you in addressing dental health concerns, including gum problems. Keep in mind that consulting professionals can help you prevent serious oral health issues. Therefore, don’t hesitate to book an appointment whenever necessary.
Addressing your oral health concerns may be a simple strategy in boosting your health and overall well-being. However, you need to realize that it brings a huge impact, especially when it comes to building your confidence and increasing your self-esteem. Thus, make sure that you dedicate some time to address even minor concerns about your oral health. Practice proper oral hygiene at home and visit your dentist regularly. With this, you will be able to smile and present yourself with confidence.